1. Hi and Welcome to the New and Improved Guitar Chaos for 2015. Feel free to login and get more familiar with the changes. We are sure you will love the new and improved Guitar Chaos! ATM we are a little unsure if you are able to login using your old passwords. So to be on the safe side from being locked out for 15 mins. If you fail to login after 2 attempts. Please Reset your passwords by clicking "Forgot your password?" in login section. Changes will be made to addons/styles in the coming days, but, this will not effect creating new posts/threads. So feel free to post away! Thanks for your patience.

Sad But True - Metallica (My first Vocal Performance Gawd help you all!)

Discussion in 'Cover Songs' started by FreakOfNature, Aug 16, 2015.

1. FreakOfNature

FreakOfNature Member

As many of you know, SuperCharged350 is my brother from another mother. We've been friends for a VERY long time and I spent most of my Band life around him (Ahhhh the good ole' days!!!!!!!!).

Watching him spread his wings and start singing really inspired me as he always has in many ways. This is the very first time I've EVERY recorded Vocals. Heck, it's the very first time I've actually done an entire song for that matter! I've always just taken pretty much complete songs and just added guitar to them.

So, the guitars were done with my trusty Red Carvin DC600 through Amplitube on an ENGL setting for Rythm, EZMix for the Solos, my Ibanez SR375 5 String Bass through Amplitube and an Ampeg SVT4 setting, Drums were EZDrummer and Vocals were all EZMix. Reaper was my DAW.

This was so much fun and in incredible learning experience! As always, special thanks to SuperCharged350 for his patience while I hounded him quite frequently with dumb question hahahaha

You might want to keep any dogs out of the room as they might start howling along with me :)

Attached Files:

2. Lvo57

Lvo57 Premium Member

Nice Freshman recording effort, you did a great job putting the track together. One one thing you might want to experiment with some ambiance like a little reverb on the vocals .

FreakOfNature likes this.
  3. Supercharged 350

Supercharged 350 Premium Member

So cool seeing you post this. You've come a long way brutha. Good job man, now we need to figure out our next one to do together....

4. djayart

djayart 3.0

The backing track and the guitars are ok but you need to add some damned reverb on the vocals Biggrin

5. FreakOfNature

FreakOfNature Member

Thanks for the honest feedback guys. The only way I'll learn is if people tell me where I'm screwing up :) I added a bit of reverb to the vox and pulled them just a TAD further out of the mix just because it's obviously a weak point for me and until I get better control I just can't handle them being in my face like that lol. It's hard for me to judge after listening to this about 50 million times now so let me know if I'm at least heading in the right direction. :)

6. djayart

djayart 3.0

If it can help you here the vocals of SBT. You can listen how the reverb sound in fact.
    I don't known if you known the proper method.
    Newbies (no offense) add the reverb on the main track like on the end of the plugin chain.This is bad method.
    The good method is to Send your dry signal (you can adjust the amount of your dry signal) to an aux track with your reverb in.
    Google it if you want ;)

7thSon and FreakOfNature like this.
  7. FreakOfNature

FreakOfNature Member

Awesome! Thanks for that info (I had no idea hehehe)!

djayart likes this.
  8. djayart

djayart 3.0

You're the welcome.

9. gump

gump Super Moderator

What everyone else, especially dj as I have no clue about vox? lol

Great job on your first effort!!

Cheers

10. Axe2Grind

Axe2Grind Beginner Guitarist

Hey Freakster, I thought the backing and all guitars were bang on for me, very well played and put together. Your vocals again I thought were well done, sits well in the mix and a great first cover with your own vocals recorded. Tops Marks Bro!

11. Stereophony

Stereophony Super Moderator

I really enjoyed listening to this! Top job on those guitars for starters! Tight as nails! bang on and Metallica tone to a tee!! Also the BT was top drawer too, we love some real bass guitar! This is one of my favourite Metallica tracks and always love hearing it.
    Really well done on recording your 1st vocals!!! You did a great job!! Its a totally different animal to guitars and the like. With guitars as i'm sure you know, you have your own style and attack and become comfortable with it. With recording vocals its just like that learning curve you went through with recording guitar its hard when you start out. You have to try and find out how far to stand from the mic, when to go closer, when to pull away etc.. all this with trying to remember the lyrics and to stay in tune and in the right key lol. I think you did a real good job! The advice on adding some reverb is a good one and also a good compression plugin like Waves r vox will help smooth the dynamics out a little and sit them in the mix.
    Keep singing and keep these coming! Nice one!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. FreakOfNature

FreakOfNature Member

Thanks so much guys. I'm anxious to take what I've learned and put all the great feedback here to use on my next recording but I'm waiting on my new Guitar to be delivered to record anything else! :)