1. Hi and Welcome to the New and Improved Guitar Chaos for 2015. Feel free to login and get more familiar with the changes. We are sure you will love the new and improved Guitar Chaos! ATM we are a little unsure if you are able to login using your old passwords. So to be on the safe side from being locked out for 15 mins. If you fail to login after 2 attempts. Please Reset your passwords by clicking "Forgot your password?" in login section. Changes will be made to addons/styles in the coming days, but, this will not effect creating new posts/threads. So feel free to post away! Thanks for your patience.

"Ride On" - First GC ~ Don't Drop the Ball Jam!!!

Discussion in 'Original Songs' started by SouthPaw, Apr 23, 2014.

1. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Lead Kazoo-ist... Wax Paper and Comb Maestro... in

Long Island (and we're not all hamptonites)
    It's with great pleasure that I deliver unto you... Guitar Chaos' 1st "Don't Drop the Ball" jam. For those unfamiliar...

http://www.guitarchaos.com/oldvb/showthread.php?t=3657

The thread above describes EXACTLY what was done to produce this EPIC track. The first post, for the most part, sums it all up. If you read through though, you will see the "flow" of what goes into these works of art... it's impressive to say the least!

Our line up was FULL OF ACES!

1. Drums - S.O.S - Done :awesome:
    2. Rhythm Gtr - Gump - Done :awesome:
    3. Bass - Plankton - Done :awesome:
    4. Lyrics - Stereophony - Done :awesome:
    5. Vocals - 7thSon - Done :awesome:
    6. Lead Gtr - Napoleanboot -Done :awesome:
    7. Mix/Production - Supercharged350 - Done :awesome:

I want to give a special thanks to S.O.S and Stereophony for volunteering when we were still shy of a final line up. I also want to give a very special thanks to my dear friend SC350 for stepping in to help complete the project. I apologize again to you all for the delays on my end. I was reluctant to kick one of these off to start, knowing that I could potentially be impacted by 'life' committments. As it turned out, things went into "Ludicrous Speed" more so than usual. The great nature of all these talented contributors is what saw it through to completion. You are all the finest of musicians and individuals in my eyes! Despite the length of time, we actually did VERY good on this project. I can say that others in the past, on other boards took far longer. Terrific, outstanding, shining work here guys in all regards! Can't say enough what an amazing product has been turned out here!

You all ROCK in my book! Cheers!
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Without further ado.............."Ride On"

2. 7thSon

7thSon Premium Member

Pleasure to be involved in this project, and big thanks to you Wig for organizing and jumpstarting this beautiful collab.

Love the prodcution here, great job SC350! :awesome:

Also huge thank you to all musicians who played a part in this track, as everyone sounded great and we turned out a very unique sounding track-- something new, yeah!!!!!! I know I will be cranking it up and playing the heck out of it this week! :D

3. napoleonboot

napoleonboot Slightly Weird

Very atmospheric and moody in the end, as emphasised by the mix.

It sounds different to any real band I know.. which is cool!

Great stuff :) well done everybody.

George

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. Plankton

Plankton Resident Hack

I was scratching my head wondering what vocals and lead would sound like over this, and now that it's come through the mill all I can say is outstanding job!

Nothing like I had imagined it would be, but then that really shows the diversity of the lot of you incredible musicians. A HUGE thanks to SouthPaw, and Supercharged for the mixing. Top notch!

Proud to be a part of it.

:cheers:

5. Supercharged 350

Supercharged 350 Premium Member

Great job all around on this one. Thanks to Paw for getting this one off the ground. These are not easy jams to coordinate. I had fun being a part, thanks for having me.

6. Celteire

Celteire Moderator

Great job everyone! .....

Nothing but mad anticipation since paw first mentioned this.

Big congrats to Paw and SC for bringing this together!!

I think it would be unfair to pick out favourites here ...so just a huge well done to all contributors and roll on the next one ....huh paw?

7. Addy Ephemere

Addy Ephemere Member

This turned out spectacular. Awesome job gentlemen!

8. rob_on_guitar

rob_on_guitar Premium Member

So many cool points about this.... Ill start with the vocals, man, I could work with them any day, the mix is pristine as! The guitars - some real interesting stuff going on there, I cant put my finger on it, leads with not so much gain and then the crushing rhythms! Drums sound great, bass is the glue that makes it hold together.... overall I like the darkness of the track, the manicness.... I dunno but I like it, Id like to hear more.

9. Secrets of Steel

Secrets of Steel Super Moderator

Hailz.

Well didn't that turn out well!! A huge thanks to Paw for coordinating this mammoth project and everyone else who has delivered top notch performances. This sounds about as polar opposite of the scratch tracks i put down when constructing the drum track. Gumps gnarly snarling riffage really set the tone chugga chugga to the max. Pats solid bass line not only compliments the groove but is solid as a rock and really adds a lot of weight to the overall track. Jim and Andy great job on the lyrics and the vocal department. When the vocal kicks in over that clean section the melody is fantastic quite haunting nice delivery also there Jim. Great job on the lyrics Andy i really take my hat off to anyone who can write proper lyrics such as these. George Killer leads my fcriend i really enjoyed your employ of a repeating motif in between the rawkus bluesy assaults great execution. I couldn't help but headbang like a mofo at the breakdown seriously heavy shizzle their guys well:awesome: A huge thank you goes out to SC for taking on the mix on this he has done a fantastic job here crystal clear and very punchy.:awesome:

Congrats guys a total triumph in my eyes:cheers:

10. FreakOfNature

FreakOfNature Member

Wow this turned out awesome! Great work to all!

11. gump

gump Super Moderator

Wow!! This turned out incredible!! Such a stellar job by everyone involved! A real treat to hear how this turned out, which is nothing as I expected! I was going for a Soundgarden/Type O Negative vibe when I created the rhythm tracks from Shaun's most excellent drum track.

As always Jim turned out some great vox with Andy's lyrics! George's leads on this really turns this tune into something celestial sounding, creating a surreal atmosphere . Pat's bass really solidifies this tune and glues it all together. Mix and production just tops it all off. :awesome:

This was an amazing experience and thanks to everyone involved and allowing me to participate!!!

12. Mr. Lynch

Mr. Lynch Guitar Hack Extraordinaire

Incredible job from start to finish by ALL!!
    There's too many great things to list on this and going into detail would be a lengthy process.
    Big thanks to Wiggs for getting this rolling and SC350 for taking over the reigns as well as all the contributors for putting out an incredible track. I thoroughly enjoyed the final product, well done gents!! :awesome: :awesome: :cheers: :cheers:
    Regards,
    Mike.

13. 7thSon

7thSon Premium Member

I was big into Type O Neg, so that was much appreciated. I think I got more of the Soundgarden, maybe AIC vibe from your rhythm guitars, and then NB's lead guitars took it in another direction entirely, which I thought sounded really cool and complimented you, Shaun, and Plankton's rhythm section very nicely! :awesome:

Would be cool to hear from few of the big guns on this track as to what their strategy was when they came up with their parts, but I'll have to re-read Southpaw's original post to see if that type of detail can/should be discussed, now that the project is completed.

14. napoleonboot

napoleonboot Slightly Weird

For the lead I was initially thrown, as the backing modulates a lot, and so I quickly figured out I would have to do some work, and not just knock out something in one scale. So.. I sat down and figured out the chord changes by ear and mapped some scales onto that, played around, and found some stuff that would work. Also, the fairly aggressive dynamic rhythm playing led me in the direction of a contrasting lead part overall, wang-bar slow bends thing, which fitted with he melancholy nature of the vocals.

The long lead section was dauntingly long at first listen; It needed a divide and conquer plan, so I came up with a "question and answer" format with a slow weird repeated motif interspersed with fast bluesy improvs, with scales changing as the backing modulates.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  15. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Lead Kazoo-ist... Wax Paper and Comb Maestro... in

Long Island (and we're not all hamptonites)
    Hey guys... Discuss as much as you want as to what your thought patterns were. It will all add to the experience as your approaches and thought patterns will all vary and perhaps turn each other on to different attacks overall in our musical endeavors!

Once again, this is a huge success in my eyes. It's been on heavy rotation because you hear something new or catch some twist you missed on previous passes... it's the track that keeps giving as is the intent of these jams!

BTW... you all were fantastic to work with on the logistics end. Zero negativity whatsoever, just easy peazy in every way on the back end... many thanks! Special thanks to Gump for sharing what he did in a Studio One 2 project format. I'm presently learning that DAW and I picked up so many new things from working with yours! That was a big bonus on my end! Many thanks bro!

16. Stereophony

Stereophony Super Moderator

I have only just got to listen to this.... and worth the wait i think!! It took me a couple of listens to get used to Jims phrasing on the vocals. i wrote the lyrics based on what i heard and Jims are different to how I heard it. ( Apart from the growling Middle 8 vocals! Thats exactly what i heard!! :awesome:)
    Jim your vocals are great, they fit really well and add to the suspense.
    Killer!! drums from Shaun:awesome: and also I think Mark really shaped the way this tune was heading with his verse and chorus guitars. Loved the softer touch and then the gritty as hell rhythms.
    Plank your bass glued it! All have said how good your bass line is here. Awesome mate!!:cool:
    George those lead guitar parts added layers to this aswell as being really great fills and solos in themselves. You played for the track and also showed your skill as a guitarist.

Thanks to everyone who layed down parts for his unique collab. Especially to SouthPaw! and to SC350 for producing and mixing a great sound. :cheers:

17. Plankton

Plankton Resident Hack

Haha!

[​IMG]

You really did an outstanding job keeping this together, and I commend anyone for knowing when they have too much to do to be able to keep the flow going.

I followed Gumps root notes, trying to keep things simple since I had no idea what was coming down the pike. The only thing that got me worried was my latency issues, hoping that I trimmed the right amount off. Cheap equipment (Squier Jaguar Bass) combined with USB M-Audio Fast Track/Audacity issues is a bit of a beast to get something quality out of, but I've learned to bite the bullet and deal with it.

All that aside, the final product really shines, and the professionalism involved is astounding. If this is the litmus test for any more of these, please consider me for anything that might be available. You all are extremely talented, I just have a hard time singling any one person out, and I really appreciate all the compliments. Man, it sure fuels the fire to get more time on the lower end of things.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. Tweekerpated

Tweekerpated Administrator

What an Awesome tune this turned out to be! :awesome:
    Everyone involved really did a fantastic job! :cool:
    Thanks for making the first GC Don't Drop The Ball a success guys! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

19. 7thSon

7thSon Premium Member

This is what I'm talking about! Fascinating to hear the strategy that went into recording the lead guitar parts. I think my favorite part of the song is where the solo first begins after the "stuck deep. . .stuck deep in's" @2:50. There is heavy rhythm guitar, and pantera-like vocals, and then the solo comes in perfect contrast in an almost care-free manner. Love that section of the song, and could play it over and over!

Thanks Wig! I'm hoping to hear from some of the other key musicians from the track to read about their approach, like NB did. :awesome:

Andy, I was hoping when I began working on the track that I would not totally screw up your musical vision for how the lyrics you wrote would be incorporated into the song. Originals are not my forte, and don't usually enjoy working on them. :bonk: But this one was a pleasure to work on, and you wrote some really great lyrics that I could relate to a lot. I tried to fit them into the song as best I could, and came up with my own harmonies that felt natural for the given structure. My favorite vocals are at the end, and it was tempting to start that ending section much sooner in the song, but the framework seemed to indicate to put them where I did, which ended up with a long section for the guitar solo. I was hoping NB would not be aggravated at having such a long solo to play, and he came up with a lot of great stuff to play in there. Of course now I am wondering how you envisioned the vocals going Andy!

I think in the end, and as Wig envisioned, came up with a unique and catchy tune. I'm very tempted to send a copy to the local radio station that plays local originals for an hour each week, just to see if they would air it. :cool:

20. Stereophony

Stereophony Super Moderator

Jim, in no way did you screw this up, your vocal lines fit just great. :awesome: I just had to listen a couple of times to try and get my version out of my head. :cheers: