1. Hi and Welcome to the New and Improved Guitar Chaos for 2015. Feel free to login and get more familiar with the changes. We are sure you will love the new and improved Guitar Chaos! ATM we are a little unsure if you are able to login using your old passwords. So to be on the safe side from being locked out for 15 mins. If you fail to login after 2 attempts. Please Reset your passwords by clicking "Forgot your password?" in login section. Changes will be made to addons/styles in the coming days, but, this will not effect creating new posts/threads. So feel free to post away! Thanks for your patience.

January Jam (Green Onions) completed

Discussion in 'Collab Corner' started by napoleonboot, Jan 11, 2015.

1. napoleonboot

napoleonboot Slightly Weird

The first jam of 2015 here on Guitar Chaos!

This backer reminded me of Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's, hence the name I gave it. Parts were recorded in parallel, so nobody heard anyone else's solo until now!

Here are the players:

0'00 tweekerplated
    0'54 napoleonboot (me)
    1'46 organ solo (already part of backer)
    2'12 stereophony
    3'03 LVO57
    3'54 axe2grind

George

Attached Files:

macman likes this.
  2. Tweekerpated

Tweekerpated Administrator

Great job by everyone! :awesome:
    I am proud to be a part of this collab. It is an honor to be on a tune with such talented musicians. :cool:
    Thank you George for putting this together and for the awesome job mixing! :cheers:

3. Lvo57

Lvo57 Premium Member

A lot of fun, I really enjoy hearing everyone's take, the tone they chose & the style of play, 5 diverse solos.:cheers:

4. Axe2Grind

Axe2Grind Beginner Guitarist

Hey Guys,

Great way to kick off the new year, loved the different approaches from each of you. Rob really liked your mellow country blues approach to start off the jam and then with George's jazzy blues runs, interesting notes there. Andy some lovely playing from you, you really sound very comfortable in this style and some nice lines and then LVO loved your wah like tone and again, lovely blues phrasing in there.

Really good fun jamming with you guys and thanks to George for providing the jam and doing all the mixing etc, nice one Lad! Hope there are plenty more jams on GC through the coming year and see a lot more players get involved :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  5. napoleonboot

Justin

Yes, a real mix of styles.

I loved the groovy swinging/walking bass line in the backer and so went in that direction. As you say, I threw in some interesting notes ;) they were just sat on my fretboard looking unloved - I think they were left over from some weird arpeggios and scales and stuff like that.

I thought Rob's opening section was a classic clean bluesy approach for this sort of number. Andy did some cool blues rock, and LVO's Wah sound was a real highlight. Your own rock solo was well played - as always, maybe a bit more rocked-out than the backer!, but I know blues isn't where you're at, so top marks for stepping up and giving it a go.

I like doing these jams, as its an opportunity to be creative and try some things out. Hearing other peoples take on the same backer is always fun.

I thought doing it in parallel was better than the serial approach we sometimes use.

George

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  6. Crossbow

Crossbow Administrator

Great job done by everyone. You guys ROCK!!!

7. gump

gump Super Moderator

Dang, this moved fast, hopefully I'll be a bit faster to jump in on the next one.

Great job by all involved! Nice mix of playing on a really groovy track!!

Way to start the new year and new site!

:cheers:

8. Stereophony

Stereophony Super Moderator

Really enjoyed playing with you on this lads!!.. and enjoyed listening even more. Its turned out great! A total mix of styles that shows how different players interpret the same track. Superb! :cheers:
    Thanks for hosting this jam George! :awesome:

9. Stereophony

I have listened back to this a good few times now and I gotta say its one of the most intriguing jams ive been a part of. The different styles and approaches just make it stand out, they all fit brilliantly within the BT. As part of the thread let us know what you used gear wise to get the sound you did.

I used my Les Paul into a softube amp sim from the vintage collection and added some delay. I wanted to change up my normal pentatonic approach with some linear scale that ive been practicing, hence that linear lick. How did you approach yours?

Also, Justin, im guessing that was the new Aristades guitar?

10. napoleonboot

I played my Washburn N3X (Nuno Bettencourt series) guitar into Aphex Punch Factory compression pedal and then Digitech Blues Screamer pedal using it's built-in speaker emulator. With those pedals I can get a useful range of tones from clean to classic rock. I added some light chorus, reverb and echo in the DAW.

As for note choice, I didn't plan it out much, I just jumped around scales, arpeggios without and just random stuff that popped into my head - whatever felt like it might be interesting and cool. I couldn't tell you what I played, or why, 10 seconds after I had finished.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  11. Axe2Grind

Axe2Grind Beginner Guitarist

Hey Andy,

Yeah that was my new Aristides 060 and just plugged into my little pedalboard and direct into my PC, just haven't touched my other guitar at all since getting my new axe lol. I agree, there are some really good approaches on this jam which went from traditional to jazzy to blues rock. I have been listening to a lot of Gary Moore's old stuff as he was making his transition from his arena rock stage to his blues stage, he would play some fairly traditional blues lines and then throw in some of his rockier runs which IMO made a cool contrast and that's what I was going for with my take, I was never into the traditional blues stuff a lot guitarist first get into when they pickup guitar cause I was keyboardist first and my first romance with guitar was via Dokken and all those mid 80's rock bands lol.

12. napoleonboot

I was a big fan of Gary Moore - rock and blues - in years gone by. I saw him play with the Greg Lake band, a short-lived affair that had Ian Paice on drums, and also saw him play with his own band on the Empty Rooms tour.

These days I am more into Robben Ford for blues, and Jeff Beck for general gool. I am sure they both have huge arsenal of notes and theory, but I suspect they just play "stuff" a lot of the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  13. Stereophony

Im a massive fan ( these days) of rock based blues or blues based rock, which ever way round. ACDC for their balls out stuff but also Rory Gallagher and the like. I do like the old style Southern Blues from the US but being a rock fan the edgier stuff just resonates a lot with me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QW8PL-bwdw

14. Tweekerpated

Tweekerpated Administrator

I used my strat that I modded out with duel humbuckers from Dragonfire. (middle position,clean)
    Reaper with JS amp modeler-Fender Bassman and VST ReaVerb.
    I stuck to the "Pentweeker" vibe that works with most everything I do! LOL :eek:

Attached Files:

15. sky1962

sky1962 Premium Member

A great listen, enjoyed this collaboration, Nice One.

16. jimbop

jimbop Fat barsturd!

great jam chaps :cool:
    tweeker...clean pure blues! say no more!
    nap....blackmore overtones with that chromatic run stuff
    andy .... liked those pedal tone parts
    lvo57..... injected some wah and more rock
    Justin.....vaitriany!! LOL love the tone and he held back!..nearly ;)

enjoyed listening to this collab [as all others] for the different tones and approaches.

Axe2Grind likes this.
  17. macman

macman Premium Member

Really enjoyed this one, love these jams. You all come together great on this, well done lads!

Axe2Grind likes this.