1. Hi and Welcome to the New and Improved Guitar Chaos for 2015. Feel free to login and get more familiar with the changes. We are sure you will love the new and improved Guitar Chaos! ATM we are a little unsure if you are able to login using your old passwords. So to be on the safe side from being locked out for 15 mins. If you fail to login after 2 attempts. Please Reset your passwords by clicking "Forgot your password?" in login section. Changes will be made to addons/styles in the coming days, but, this will not effect creating new posts/threads. So feel free to post away! Thanks for your patience.

Drums anyone??

Discussion in 'Collab Corner' started by DavidFord, Apr 7, 2012.

1. DavidFord

DavidFord Member

Hi Peeps
    You know, for sometime now, Ive had people tell me, I shouldnt be so hard on myself when it comes to me playing. But I seem to get more aggravated with myself, because Im SO limited. What I mean by that is I know I can get a lot further in what I want to do. But I dont have, the resourcess at hand, to complete what I need.

One, I have a bass, but Im fairly new. I mean,,,like 4 days playing new LOL. The only thing I can do without probs, is Rhythm & Lead guitar. And if wasnt for 'backtracks' I would still be in the dark ages.

If you were to listen to a handful of stuff Ive done, I know I have an imagination. I dont mean dreaming, but that I know I can bust out 'hits' if I had the right tools. Most backtracks etc, keep me limited, because sometimes, I want to break into a bridge lets say, but the song doesnt have one. I have to play whats been given to me. That really is fair LOL.

So the point Im trying to make is, I need a bit of assistance. I have tunes in my head, that will never get heard by anyone, cause I dont have the tools or help. Im trying at bass, and will get it, but one thing I JUST cant nail (Well, I dont understand its theory) is drums. Even with software, I can comprehend drum knowledge. When do you hit the 'snare drum' or when do you hit this or that? Im drum deaf. And that is seriously has me stuck musically.

I have music, I want to write, and get down to it, but need some help. Doesnt have to be a real drum. Software is fine, but is their anyway, someone here could assist me in this drum war I have?? If I write down some stuff, could you write around me, and vice verse?? Let me know, by this message, or by PM. Thanks

PS: Remember, I dont understand drums. I hear em, but cant write em. I have $500 in drum stuff, and its useless to me LOL. SO dont show me software etc, Im looking for 'we work together' stuff :)

2. gump

gump Super Moderator

3. Secrets of Steel

Secrets of Steel Super Moderator

Send me you guitar tracks with a click and ill try n help u out:cheers:

4. bmann272

bmann272 BMCC Member

Unfortunately, there's really no shortcut way around the issue at hand for you. If you really want drums designed for the song or sound you're trying to achieve, you have few options. Either A: find a drummer or B: learn to write drums. I personally learned music notation and how to sequence beats in Guitar Pro. Granted, the sounds are pretty lame, but it tells you exactly what you are writing and how different strikes fall within the bar with the notation provided. I then moved on to Superior Drummer 2.0 by Toontrack, which is excellent software with adaptability like crazy. You really can dial in many different sounds out of it. To boot, each pack you purchase comes with midi loops to get you on the way. In most cases, you can make minor modifications to the loops to get them to fit in how you want them to. I can also add that studying percussion can eventually lead you to becoming adept at drums as well. I've filled in for some local bands just based on the knowledge I gained from learning about programming coupled with a bit of practice behind my drummer's kit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. Bearman007

Bearman007 Premium Member

The Jamstix 3.0 than Gump suggested is a great idea, & affordable at $99.00. You can download a demo version to try out. Sounds like a terrific writing tool.

I'd take up Shauns offer too, he has a lot of experience and comes of with some terrific tracks.

I agree with bmann, though. I can pretty much create a midi drum track from scratch using Cubase and Superior Drummer 2.0, something I couldn't do a few years ago. You can also drag and drop midi loops into your drum track and create pretty much anything you want. Also, learn basic beats, play them on a table top and picture what each hand represents. I.E., left hand snare, right hand bass drum for me. You can record beats from a table top in your DAW, insert a program like Drumagog, and assign bass, snare, toms, etc. There is conversion software that will turn a wave file into a midi file for even more flexibility. All kinds of options out there David.

Bear

6. DavidFord

DavidFord Member

Damn!! LOL. I ahd a feeling someone was going to say that. Its not that I dont want to learn, Im thinking its the concept I cant figure out. Like drum-deaf, or something. Even if I listen to just a drum track, I dont think I can figure what the drummer hit, as so to speak. IVe so many software, where you just drag & drop idea, and still never sounds right LOL. Im going to take your advice and get to the very bottom of it,and learn it hard core bottom.

Downloaded it Mark, going to install it shortly. Im hoping this is the ultimate drum software. It sounds like what Im thinking, so fingers crossed :D

7. johnnymegabyte

johnnymegabyte Premium Member

When do you need it by ? One of our members ( zmanff67 ) is a drummer and guitar player, who keeps his kit in my basement, and we get together every Wednesday night and every-other-Saturday. He's even wanted to record the drums for my other band's song writing demos.
    I think you've heard the kit recorded in a recent post.
    I'm sure he'd do it. Or maybe, you choose from all submissions.

Update: he"s up to it

8. DavidFord

DavidFord Member

Oh no rush. Not at all LOL. I have some stuff but not ready. Topic was to get the bug out there :) Im still clearing up a few projects, so no rush.

As always, if he has some stuff he'd like to share, Im game with that too. Im sure GC could use it as well :)

PS: Sorry took a bit to respond, had like 7 tabs open, and a few programs LOL.

9. Slammer Studios

Slammer Studios Product of the 80's

If drums are an issue Beta Monkey has loops (Double Bass Mania) That is around $30 and can be made to sound pretty good. It's a fast way to get a song out with minimal $ out for something expensive like Superior Drummer...

10. DavidFord

DavidFord Member

Thank you Slam. I'll take a look at that too. Does it come with a demo?

Here is a tune, I started about 6-7 months ago, that I really liked, but could never take off. Problem, is I spent MORE time trying to get the sound right, than actual playing. These drums are electronic (and expensive too LOL) With electronic, Im sure you will always get that "electronic" sound no? Dont know enough of drums to get them right LOL. AND this song, I was spending money on too. Wont elaborate where or who, but it was a major bummer to say I was canceling it. I mean I was hearing this in my dreams too LOL. Check out this quick and sad ending life of the tune. Maybe someday I'll pick back up on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4AI...DvjVQa1PpcFMZA45QseSW1WAqtNgoV3vzl76hKHtYjco=

Here is the old topic it was from: http://www.guitarchaos.com/oldvb/showthread.php?t=1627&highlight=miss

11. johnnymegabyte

johnnymegabyte Premium Member

do you have a link to the tune that needs drumming ? ( zmanff67 ) Dougie said he has time on Tuesday and Wednesday to drop over and throw some drumming on your tune

12. Marinos

Marinos Guest

A good thing to know and im just saying from my own experience. id say the first thing to know about drums (me being farthest from the best drum programmer) is that u never hit the snare and the bass drum at the same time unless ur doing double kick death drumming. also when ur accenting a note on the guitar u can hit the cymbal and bass together when ur in a situation where the 4/4 timing isnt lining up. i hope that helps. also reason software by propellerhead is awesome for programming drums as it has samples and full drum machines. f (Reason 6 )by propellerhead ! check out the demo . its unreal! its absolutly the most easy powerful program in the world!! yes the proes use pro tools and its probably the best but reason 6 is 100 times easier and wayyy cheaper and very close to its capability. 400 $ for reason 6 and thousands of $ for pro tools set up.
    i know u didnt want to see software but it can help u get better at drums just by learning the programming of it not to mention ul get the best soft synth for all your keyboard stuff aswell as a mixing down rack :) cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  13. medievil

medievil Premium Member

I have the same issue kinda.. I can even "play" drums a bit, but trying to lay them down on a track via midi or any other method (sample inserts etc...)I have great difficulty...because of the nature of drum rolls and such that are not "perfectly" timed/spaced as you roll it always sounds crappy and mechanical...

14. Doz

Doz Member

Live Drummer here if you need help

I have a home recording studio and working on some track for a HVAC website :awesome:

I use Soundjack Audio to jam with my online band.

Been playing drums for over 40 years and all types of Rock.:ROCK OUT!!!:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  15. bmann272

bmann272 BMCC Member

I forgot to add (months ago...sorry I'm bad for not keeping on posts I comment on lol) that if you ever need any help with drum programming or advice on the basics, just let me know, and I'll offer any of the limited knowledge and experience I have.